Mince shepherd's pie. Gordon's take on a real British classic. It's all in flavouring the mince. From Gordon Ramsay's The F Word#GordonRamsay #Cooking..with the kind of refrigeration we had in our homes, cooked meat could be kept much more safely than raw.
Cook ground beef and savory vegetables, top with mashed potatoes, and bake to perfection. Plunge your spoon into a shepherd's pie with creamy mash and flavourful lamb mince. We've got traditional recipes, plus spiced and vegetarian alternatives. You can cook Mince shepherd's pie using 15 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Mince shepherd's pie
- It’s 1 kg of waxy potatoes, peeled and cut into large wedges.
- It’s 350 g of ground beef and pork mix.
- It’s 1 of onion, finely chopped.
- You need 4 cloves of garlic, minced.
- Prepare 2 of medium carrots, peeled and chopped into 1/2 cm pieces.
- You need 3 stalks of celery, chopped into 1/2 cm pieces.
- It’s 1/4 cup of brandy.
- It’s 1 tbsp of tomato paste.
- It’s 1 tsp of cornstarch.
- It’s 1/2 cup of beef stock.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of butter.
- You need 1/2 cup of whole milk.
- You need 1/2 cup of finely grated parmesan cheese.
- It’s 1/4 cup of panko breadcrumbs.
Cottage pie and shepherd's pie are basically the same thing when it comes to vegan fare, but Layer the mince in a pie dish (a rectangular or square dish is also fine) and top with the mashed potato. Is this the perfect shepherd's pie? Simon Hopkinson and Lindsey Bareham's shepherd's pie: best to start with raw mince, they say. Try the classic shepherd's pie recipe or mix it up with a veggie shepherd's pie with lentils, or add parsnips to You can make Michel Roux's family recipe with leftover lamb or fry up some lamb mince.
Mince shepherd's pie step by step
- Drop your potatoes into a large pot of water and boil until fork tender. While you wait for them, proceed with the meat mixture. If the potatoes cook first, just drain them into a colander and let them steam..
- Add a splash of veg oil to a large pan on medium-high heat. Add the meat and break it up with a spatula as it cooks. Let brown for 5 minutes, then drain all but a few tbsp oil from the pan..
- Add the onion, garlic, carrot and celery to the pan. Let fry, stirring occasionally, until the veg are softened and the meat's thoroughly cooked (about 10 minutes)..
- Pour the brandy into the pan. Let simmer until the alcohol boils off and and mixture's mostly dry again. Stir in the tomato paste and keep frying 2 minutes..
- Stir the cornstarch into the pan. Once combined, add the beef stock and Worcestershire sauce. Let cook 5 more minutes then give it a taste. Add salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste, and remove the pan from the heat..
- When the potatoes are cooked and well drained, put them back in the pot you boiled them in. Add the milk, butter, a large pinch of salt and a few grinds of black pepper, then give it a mash. If it's too dry, add more milk. If not rich enough, add more butter. You want to end up with mashed potatoes that are oh-so-slightly firm (too wet and they'll run down into the meat instead of sitting nicely on top)..
- Assemble by lining the bottom of an 18 cm x 24 cm, high-sided baking dish with the meat mixture. Top with the mash, then smooth off the surface. Sprinkle with half of the grated parmesan cheese. Cover tightly with foil and pop the pie into a preheated 400 F oven for 20 minutes..
- Take the pie out and remove the foil. Combine the remaining parmesan cheese with the panko and sprinkle it on top. Put the uncovered pie back in the oven on a high broil. Let cook until the top is toasty golden. Before digging in, let the pie cool for 15 minutes so it can set. Serve with a side of beef gravy..
Shepherd's pie is an Irish classic dish. The dish has cooked lamb mince with vegetables as a base and mashed potatoes are served on top of it. The dish is usually finished some cheese and herbs. Shepherd's pie, filled with lamb mince and topped with creamy Serve with seasonal vegetables or a green salad. Mince alternatives: If you don't like lamb, simple replace with lean beef or pork mince.