Mac n cheese. Macaroni and cheese—also called mac 'n' cheese in the United States, and macaroni cheese in the United Kingdom—is a dish of cooked macaroni pasta and a cheese sauce, most commonly cheddar. Said Mac and Cheese would be ravaged. And of all the Mac and Cheeses in the world, this is still How long can Mac and Cheese stay in the fridge?
Ingredients of Mac n cheese
- It’s 1 pound of dried short pasta.
- It’s 1 1/2 cups of whole milk.
- You need 2-3 cups of shredded cheese.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of kosher salt.
- You need of Optional extras (cook before adding): ham, cooked bacon, onions.
Mac and cheese is one of those recipes that can take on so many different forms. I love it anyway I can get it but baked mac and cheese is my very favorite and I'll tell you why… The topping. The evaporated milk gives Mac & Cheese an amazingly rich & creamy taste. Other than those two Duh, that's what Mac and cheese is about!!
Mac n cheese step by step
- Cook the pasta. Bring about 4 quarts of salted water to a boil over high heat in a large pot. Add the pasta and cook according to package directions. Drain and set aside..
- Place 1 cup of the milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Meanwhile, place the remaining 1/2 cup of milk and flour in a small bowl and whisk together until there are no lumps. When you just start to see whisps of steam rising from the warming milk, whisk in the milk-and-flour mixture. Continue whisking gently until the milk thickens slightly to the consistency of heavy cream, 3 to 4 minutes..
- Turn the heat to low and begin mixing handfuls of cheese into the milk. Stir in the salt. Stir until all the cheese has melted and the sauce is creamy. Taste and adjust the seasonings as desired. Remove the sauce from the heat..
- Place the pasta and 1/2 of the cheese sauce in a large serving bowl. Stir to coat the pasta evenly. Add the remaining sauce and any extra add-ins and stir to combine. If you'd like a looser sauce, add up to another 1/4 cup milk if desired..
- Serve the mac and cheese immediately while still warm..
I made it with large elbow macaroni so the sauce got all. My mother was a bit of a rebel with her macaroni and When my brother and I were kids, we didn't like any "stuff" in our mac n' cheese. These days, I like a little. Classic Homemade Mac and Cheese made with bite-size pasta, cheddar cheese, and a simple creamy sauce all baked to perfection in the oven. This Camping Mac and Cheese recipe is the easiest and cheesiest make-ahead meal!