Corn Chowder 2.
Ingredients of Corn Chowder 2
- Prepare of fresh corn or 3 ears bicolor corn.
- Prepare of bacon, cut into 1/3 inch dice.
- It’s of unsalted butter.
- Prepare of medium onion, cut into 1/2 inch dice.
- It’s of large red bell pepper, cut into 1/2 inch dice.
- It’s of fresh thyme, leaves removed and chopped.
- Prepare of ground cumin.
- Prepare of turmeric.
- It’s of yukon gold potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch dice.
- It’s of chicken stock.
- Prepare of kosher salt.
- Prepare of fresh ground black pepper.
- You need of cornstarch, dissolved in.
- It’s of water.
- It’s of heavy cream.
- It’s of minced fresh chives or 2 tablespoons thinly sliced scallion.
Corn Chowder 2 step by step
- Husk the corn..
- Carefully remove most of the silk by hand and then rub the ears with a towel to finish the job..
- Cut the kernels from the cobs and place in a bowl..
- You should have about 2 cups..
- Using the back of your knife, scrape down the cobs and add the milky substance that oozes out to the corn kernels..
- Once it has rendered a few tablespoons of fat, increase the heat to medium and cook until the bacon is crisp and golden brown..
- Heat a 3-to 4-quart heavy pot over low heat and add the diced bacon..
- Pour off all but one tablespoon of the bacon fat, leaving the bacon in the pot..
- Add the butter, onion, bell pepper, thyme, cumin, and turmeric and sauté, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon, for about 8 minutes, until the onion and pepper are tender but not browned..
- Add the corn kernels, potatoes and stock, turn up the heat, cover, and boil vigorously for about 10 minutes..
- Some of the potatoes will have broken up, but most should retain their shape..
- Use the back of your spoon to smash a bit of the corn and potatoes against the side of the pot..
- Reduce the heat to medium and season the chowder with salt and pepper..
- Stir the cornstarch mixture and slowly pour it into the pot, stirring constantly..
- As soon as the chowder has come back to a boil and thickened slightly, remove from the heat and stir in the cream..
- Adjust the seasoning if necessary..
- If you are not serving the chowder within the hour, let it cool a bit, then refrigerate; cover the chowder AFTER it has chilled completely..
- Otherwise, let it sit at room temperature for up to an hour, allowing the flavors to meld..
- When ready to serve, reheat the chowder over low heat; don't let it boil..
- Ladle into cups or bowls and sprinkle with the chopped chives..
How to Make Tasty Corn Chowder 2