Granny's Cowboy Coffee Cake.
You can have Granny's Cowboy Coffee Cake using 10 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Granny's Cowboy Coffee Cake
- You need 2 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour – sifted.
- You need 2 cup of packed brown sugar.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of salt.
- It’s 2/3 cup of shortening (i.e. Crisco).
- Prepare 2 tsp of baking powder.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of baking soda.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of ground nutmeg.
- It’s 2 of eggs – beaten.
- You need 1 cup of buttermilk.
Granny's Cowboy Coffee Cake step by step
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly grease and flour a 9x13x2 in. cake pan. Set aside..
- In a large bowl combine sifted flour, salt, brown sugar and shortening with pastry cutter or fork until it looks crumbly (mostly pea-sized crumbs). Set aside 1/2 cup of this crumb mixture to sprinkle over top of batter later on..
- To remaining crumb mixture, add baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix to combine with wooden spoon..
- In a medium bowl beat together eggs and buttermilk. Add to crumb mixture and gently stir until just combined with no dry spots (it will still look lumpy because of shortening pieces, this is ok)..
- Pour into prepared cake pan (you may have to gently spread into corners). Top with reserved crumb mixture and bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes (check after 25). The middle will not rise much, or may look sunken in. This is normal with coffee cakes. To ensure doneness, insert a toothpick. It will come out clean if the cake is done..
- Optional mix-ins to crumb topping: additional 1/4 tsp cinnamon or chopped nuts of your choice (I like pecans)..
- Notes: You can sub softened butter for shortening, but I stick with shortening for this recipe. I would not use margarine. Using shortening gives it a lightness and crumb that even butter can't match. You can also sub soured milk for buttermilk, but buttermilk is much easier and tastier in my opinion..