Moussaka. Moussaka is an eggplant- and/or potato-based dish, often including ground meat, which is common in the Balkans and the Middle East, with many local and regional variations. Moussaka is to the Greek what Lasagna is to Italians. A rich tomato meat sauce layered with eggplant instead of pasta sheets, and topped with a thick layer of béchamel sauce, this traditional Greek recipe.
Greek Moussaka recipe – A delicious taste of Greece. Its a traditional Greek bake with luscious layers of juicy beef or lamb mince cooked in a tomato based sauce, layered with. Moussaka is one of the best known Greek dishes – a baked casserole It is likely that moussaka has Middle-Eastern origins, and it was introduced when the Arabs brought the eggplant to Greece. You can cook Moussaka using 14 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Moussaka
- It’s 3 of onions.
- It’s 3 cloves of garlic.
- It’s 6 TBSP of olive oil.
- It’s 4 TBSP of freshly chopped parsley.
- Prepare 800 g of minced meat (mixed, pork and beef).
- You need 200 ml of red wine.
- Prepare 1 can of peeled tomatoes or 5 fresh tomatoes, chopped.
- It’s 3 TBSP of tomato paste.
- Prepare 1 pinch of cinnamon.
- You need 3 of eggplants.
- You need 50 g of butter.
- Prepare 50 g of flour.
- Prepare 500 ml of milk.
- Prepare 150 g of grated cheese.
This moussaka is mostly authentic with a couple of twists for added flavor. Traditional moussaka uses ground lamb while most modern versions use ground beef. I took culinary license to add the additional. This delicious lamb moussaka recipe from the Hairy Bikers provides a wonderful meal for a family occasion.
- Cut the eggplants into slices lengthwise. Sprinkle each side of the slices with salt and stack on a plate with layers of paper towel. Let sit until the frying step to draw out moisture..
- Dice the onions and garlic and fry in a pan with olive oil. Add the meat and let brown..
- Add tomato paste to the meat and let fry a bit longer. Add tomatoes, wine, parsley, salt, pepper, thyme and cinnamon to the meat. Let the sauce simmer for 30 min and then season to taste..
- To make the bèchamel, add the butter into a pot and melt over low heat. Add the flour and whisk to a smooth paste. Let the paste cook and bubble a bit but don't let it brown. Whisk in the milk, turn up the heat and bring to a boil while stirring constantly. Once the sauce has thickened, turn off the heat and season with salt, nutmeg and pepper. Set aside..
- Dab the eggplant slices with paper towel to remove the moisture. Fry them in a pan with olive oil, about 1 min from each side. Set aside..
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Take a large casserole dish and grease with butter. Rub the dish with half a clove of garlic..
- Assemble the moussaka in the following order: eggplant – meat sauce – bèchamel, until all components are used up. Finish off with an eggplant layer. Top off with grated cheese. Bake for 10 min. If the cheese doesn't brown quickly enough, change the oven setting to a high grill for a few minutes..
- Serve with rice and a green salad..
Make our easy moussaka for an instant crowd pleaser. This classic Greek dish of layered thinly sliced potato, aubergine and lamb is topped with a creamy béchamel sauce. Moussaka is traditionally made with lamb, but I often use ground beef instead. The recipe looks a bit daunting, but if you prepare one step while working on another, it will save time. Moussaka is a classic Greek casserole.