Schwäbisch Zwiebelkuchen (Southern German Onion Tart).
Ingredients of Schwäbisch Zwiebelkuchen (Southern German Onion Tart)
- Prepare 300 grams of flour.
- It’s 1 tsp of active dry yeast.
- Prepare 1 tsp of sugar.
- You need 1/2 tsp of salt.
- It’s 3 tbsp of vegetalbe oil or melted butter.
- You need 1 of egg.
- It’s 1/2 cup of warm water (120 ml).
- It’s 4 slice of bacon.
- It’s 3-4 of medium onions (about 700 g or 1.5 lbs).
- It’s 1/2 cup of sour cream (120 ml).
- It’s 1 of egg.
- You need 2 tsp of caraway seeds.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of spicy paprika (optional).
- Prepare 1 pinch of black pepper.
Schwäbisch Zwiebelkuchen (Southern German Onion Tart) step by step
- In a large bowl, mix flour, yeast, sugar, and salt. Add the oil/butter, first egg and warm water. Mix until dough starts to form a moist ball..
- Remove dough from bowl and knead for a few minutes on a floured surface. When it's smooth and soft, return to bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rest in a warm place for 30 minutes..
- Meanwhile, cube the bacon and slice onions into thin rings. Heat some oil in a large frying pan and add onions and bacon. Briefly saute on medium-high then turn to low heat and let cook for 15 minutes, until very soft..
- In a small bowl, beat another egg and mix with the sour cream, caraway seeds, a pinch of salt and pepper, and paprika if using. Set aside..
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F (For convection oven 180°C/350°F). Grease a large baking pan (or pizza pan, or 2 pie dishes). Role out dough to the size of the pan..
- Place on pan and form edges around outside..
- Spread the cooked onions and bacon evenly over the dough. Pour over the sour cream sauce and sprinkle with a bit of salt & pepper..
- Bake Zwiebelkuchen on middle rack for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown (though keep an eye on it after 20-25 minutes. Depending on your oven, it could be done sooner!)..
- You can make a round one too, like pizza!.
Easiest Way to Prepare Yummy Schwäbisch Zwiebelkuchen (Southern German Onion Tart)