Beef Rendang – Indonesian.
You can have Beef Rendang – Indonesian using 25 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Beef Rendang – Indonesian
- Prepare 500 gr of beef (I used shin beef) – cut big square (I used 250 on purpose).
- Prepare 400 ml of coconut milk- cans (you can change half to milk, but it will taste bit different, but it will healthier).
- It’s 400 ml of coconut milk mix to 400ml water. This to make 800ml light coconut milk.
- You need 3 of kafir limes leaves (dont use the stem).
- Prepare 3 of bayleaves (I only used 2 as we dont have in the house).
- Prepare 1 of lemongrass cut into 3.
- You need 1 of turmeric leaves (omit if you dont have).
- It’s 1 tbsp of brown sugar (I used our palm sugar – gula jawa).
- Prepare 1 tsp of tamarind paste (if you used seed one, mix in water).
- It’s 5 tbsp of coconut oil (or any) – add if need it.
- It’s as needed of Salt (last).
- Prepare 1 of Knorr beef cube.
- It’s 1.5 tsp of white pepper.
- You need of Optional: Rendang paste – I used Indofood brand.
- You need of To blends in food processor with 1 tbsp oil:.
- Prepare 10 of Red chillies (30 gr) – cut/slice.
- Prepare 5 of Thai red chilies.
- Prepare 3-4 of shallot – cut.
- Prepare 4-5 of garlic.
- It’s 2 cm of ginger.
- You need 1 tsp of galangal mince.
- Prepare 1 tsp of corriander seed/powder.
- You need 1/2 tsp of nutmeg powder.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder.
- Prepare 2-3 of candlenut (omit if you dont have).
Beef Rendang – Indonesian instructions
- In a wok, put a bit of oil and put the beef, cook just to coat them and set aside (less then 5minutes).
- In the same wok, pour the blends ingredients. You dont really need oil (but I used it) as you have mix this with the blends in low heat. No more then 5minutes..
- Add the beef into the wok, coat all the beef and stir fry for another 5-10 minutes medium heat, till you can see the oil separated a bit. Put all the leaves and lemongrass..
- Pour the light (800ml) coconut milk. Add the sugar, white pepper and knorr, a bit of salt (you can always add later, I only put 1/2 tsp) Put the heat up to medium and keep stirring till bubbling. This takes me about 20 minutes. When it bubble. Stop. Add the sachet if using, tamarind water, stirred. Turn off..
- Transfer in caserole dish (or slowcooker) closed and Oven 180c for about 2:30 hours (or until you think the beef is tender)..
- Stirred and Check if it change colour and the liquid drop n thicker. Add the 400 thick coconut milk. Stirred.
- Transfer it to wok, in medium heat. Stirred ccasionally every 15-20 minutes till it thicken (I used timer and did this for about 2 hours). Turn the heat off and leave it overnight. It will change its tekstur in the morning..
- This is how it look in the morning. We start the process again. Medium heat, for 20 minutes. You can see the oil separated and start bubbling. You need to keep an eye and keep stirring..
- You need to stir by scratching it from bottom, so it wont stick. when you see the bubble, you need to keep stirring every 5 minutes as otherwise the bottom will stick. (I always feel excited here as I know it almost finish!). It takes me about 20 minutes..
- After about total 40 minutes, this is how it looks like,I called it Rendang Jawa:) and this is how we usually enjoy. The real Padang rendang will take way longer to cook, and all the coconut will actually be a bit dry and stick to the meat (amazing!!). The choice is yours! I cant wait that long! Lol! Make sure you reheat everyday, if you have left over so the taste get better and better ;).
- The rendang sauce can be stored in fridge for about a week, it can be used to make nasi goreng (like Gordon Ramsay did – but I dont used kecap manis). I will post next time! Sooo delicious to be add on top of your tempe, omelet or fried egg. We can also use as sandwhich filler! The option is endless..