The Strawberriest Strawberry Cake.
Ingredients of The Strawberriest Strawberry Cake
- It’s 2 lb of fresh strawberries.
- It’s 3/4 cup of shortening.
- It’s 1 1/2 cup of granulated sugar.
- You need 1 cup of additional granulated sugar.
- Prepare 2 1/4 cup of sifted cake flour.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of baking powder.
- It’s 1 tsp of salt.
- Prepare 1 cup of milk.
- Prepare 1 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract.
- Prepare 1/2 tbsp of additional vanilla extract.
- Prepare 5 of egg whites.
- You need 1 envelope of unflavored gelatin.
- It’s 1 of 8 oz brick cream cheese, softened.
- Prepare 1 1/2 cup of powdered sugar.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of softened butter.
The Strawberriest Strawberry Cake instructions
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Chop off the tops of the strawberries and puree them in a food processor until they have the texture of a relish, chunky yet pourable. This should yield about 2 cups of puree..
- Cream shortening in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer. Gradually add 1-1/2 cups sugar..
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt with a whisk to form a dry mixture..
- Add about a third of the dry mixture to the sugar mixture, beat it thoroughly with the mixer, then add half the milk. Beat it again. Add another third of the dry mixture, beat it, add the rest of the milk, beat it again, and finally beat in the rest of the dry mixture..
- Stir in the teaspoon and a half of vanilla and 1/2 cup of the strawberry puree..
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until they begin to firm up a bit. Carefully fold this into the batter..
- Pour the batter into two well greased and lightly floured 9" round cake pans and bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centers of the cakes comes out clean..
- Bring 1 cup of strawberry puree to a boil. Stir in 1 cup sugar..
- Dissolve 1 envelope gelatin into about a tablespoon of room temperature water. Stir this mixture into the sweetened puree..
- Boil the puree for a few minutes, then remove from heat. Allow to cool and thicken, forming the filling spread..
- Beat together in a separate bowl the cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter, 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract, and a half cup of strawberry puree to form the icing..
- Remove the cake layers from their pans. Using a bread knife, cut the top of one off so it is level and flat..
- Spread the gelatin mixture over the flattened cake layer. Place the other cake layer on top and gently press it into place..
- Spread the cream cheese icing over the top cake layer and around the sides..
- Top with sprinkles if it pleases you, or strawberry slices if you want even more strawberry..
Recipe: Yummy The Strawberriest Strawberry Cake