Jamaican brown stewed chicken.
Ingredients of Jamaican brown stewed chicken
- You need of gravy.
- You need 1/2 cup of oil for frying chicken.
- Prepare 1 of large onion chopped.
- It’s 1 of bell pepper chopped.
- You need 1 sprig of thyme (or 1 tsp dried).
- You need 1/2 tsp of pepper sauce (I like crushed scotch bonnet).
- Prepare 1 tbsp of ketchup.
- It’s 2 cup of hot water.
- Prepare 1 1/2 tbsp of Jamaican pickapeppa sauce (browning sauce).
- It’s 1/4 tsp of paprika.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of ground ginger.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of ground all spice.
- Prepare to taste of Salt and pepper.
- It’s 1 of roughly chopped carrot.
- You need of chicken marinade.
- You need 2 tsp of salt.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of black pepper.
- It’s 2 tsp of brown sugar.
- It’s 3 of garlic cloves minced.
- Prepare 2 of green onions chopped.
- It’s 1/2 cup of oil (for frying chicken).
- You need 3 lb of chicken.
Jamaican brown stewed chicken step by step
- Marinade the chicken using ingredients above for 1 hour or over night.
- Remove chicken from marinade and fry in Dutch oven in 1/2 cup oil until browned on both sides. (Then remove chicken, it will cook through after in the gravy).
- Remove 1/2 the oil (leaving half in the Dutch oven) and cook the onions, carrots and pepper until onions are translucent..
- Add the thyme, pepper sauce, pickapeppa sauce and ketchup and all other spices. Mix.. Then add the 2 cups water..
- Place chicken back in the pot and move around so that the gravy is surrounding the chicken..
- Let simmer for 30 min or until chicken cooked through.
- Serve with rice and peas… or white rice and salad/or coleslaw. I love fried plantains with this as well..
Recipe: Yummy Jamaican brown stewed chicken