'Indonesian' beef stew.
You can cook 'Indonesian' beef stew using 12 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of 'Indonesian' beef stew
- Prepare 2 of small onions.
- Prepare 1 of glove of garlic.
- You need 2 tbs of butter.
- Prepare 400 g of beef, rib or other stew cuts.
- It’s 100 ml of red wine.
- You need 100 ml of water.
- You need 5 tbs of ketjap (or soy sauce).
- Prepare 3 of thyme springs (or 1tbs dried thyme).
- Prepare 2 of bayleafs.
- Prepare 4 of cloves.
- You need 2 tbs of tomato ketchup.
- Prepare 1 tbs of potato starch (or general binding agent).
'Indonesian' beef stew step by step
- Roughly chop the onions and peel the garlic..
- Season the beef generously on both sides with salt and pepper..
- On medium heat melt some butter and start cooking the onions and the garlic. Use a garlic press, or mince the garlic..
- When the onions are halfway there, make room for the beef. You could do this in stages, but why bother….
- Brown the beef on both sides. Render out as much fat as you can..
- Pour the ketjap over the meat and give it a minute to boil and let it flavor the beef. Don't let it evaporate completely though. Don't worry if it is too much or too little, you can adjust for salt with the final seasoning..
- From the side of the pan, add the wine and the water. It should just cover the meat, depending on the size of the pan..
- Add the spices and the tomato ketchup and stir till combined..
- Cover and let simmer for at least 4 hours. Check every hour or so for liquid, and add water if it appears to become dry. Also turn the beef over to help even cooking. It may fall apart already, that is fine..
- After this time break up the beef into chunks of your desired size. And remove the thyme springs and bayleafs..
- Mix the potato starch with a teaspoon of cold water and mix it up, before stirring it through the stew. Taste and add salt and pepper to taste..
- Serve with fries, potatoes, rice or just plain. And don't forget to eat some vegetables as well..