Ingredients of Apple Pie
- You need of Crust.
- It’s 2 cups (10 oz) of flour.
- It’s 1 Tbsp of sugar.
- It’s 1 tsp of salt.
- You need 1/3 cup of butter.
- Prepare 1/3 cup of shortening.
- It’s 1/2 cup of water.
- You need of Filling.
- It’s 7-9 of pie apples.
- Prepare 3/4-1 cup of sugar.
- It’s 2 Tbsp of flour.
- Prepare 2 tsp of cinnamon.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of nutmeg.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of ground cloves.
- It’s 1/8 tsp of ground allspice.
- Prepare 3 Tbsp of butter.
- Prepare 2-3 Tbsp of milk.
- It’s 1/4 cup of cinnamon sugar (1 tsp cinnamon + 1/4 cup sugar).
Apple Pie step by step
- Sift together flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl..
- Cut butter and shortening into 1/2 in pieces. Add to flour mixture. Cut or rub into flour until the largest pieces are no bigger than a pea..
- Add water by the tablespoon, stirring gently until dough comes together..
- Form pie dough into a ball and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 30 min while making the filling..
- Peel, core, and cut apples into 1/4 in slices. Place in a large bowl..
- In a small bowl, combine sugar, 2 Tbsp flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and allspice. Sprinkle over apple slices and gently toss to combine. Let sit and get juicy while rolling out the crust..
- Roll out half the pie dough to 2"wider than the pie plate (3" for deep dish). Gently drape into plate, making sure there are no air bubbles. Pour apples on top and arrange evenly. Cover with accumulated juices..
- Slice remaining 3 Tbsp butter into thin pats and arrange over filling..
- Roll out remaining half of pie dough to roughly the same size as the previous half. Cut vents in desired pattern. Gently drape over pie and crimp edges..
- Brush entire pie with milk and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar..
- Bake at 400° for 50-60 min, tenting with foil if crust is browning too quickly. Filling should be bubbling when you remove it..
- Let rest at least 30 min to 1 hour before cutting into it. Best enjoyed with whipped cream or ice cream..
Recipe: Perfect Apple Pie