Short rib birria tacos.
Ingredients of Short rib birria tacos
- Prepare 3 lbs of short rib cut in the middle.
- You need 4 tsp of course kosher salt.
- You need 1 tsp of fresh ground black pepper.
- It’s 2 tsp of Mexican oregano.
- It’s 3 tsp of cumin.
- You need 1/4 tsp of ground cinnamon.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of ground clove.
- It’s 7 of dried guajillos stemmed and seeded.
- It’s 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- It’s 1 inch of thinly sliced ginger.
- You need 6 of peeled large garlic cloves.
- It’s 3 of large tomatoes cored and chopped (I used beef steak).
- You need 3 of large jalapeños rough chopped, I kept the seeds for heat.
- It’s 2 cups of water.
- Prepare 3 of bay leaves.
- It’s 1 tbsp of honey.
- It’s 1/4 cup of white vinn.
- You need 4 cups of beef broth.
- You need A few of limes.
- You need of Oaxaca cheese shredded. You can substitute string cheese for a cheat.
Short rib birria tacos instructions
- Start by prepping the short ribs by putting a slice in the middle and season with all the spices, place in the fridge over night..
- Add the evo to a pot and sear the guajillos for about 30 seconds and then add the onion, jalapeño, garlic and ginger, a few pinches of salt and toss to combine..
- Add the tomatoes, water and submerge the chiles under. bring to a boil and reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes stirring a couple times. Let cool and use an immersion blender until smooth. I usually do this method the day before..
- Add the short ribs to a large pot and strain the mixture into the pot with the ribs. Add the bay leaves, honey, vinegar, juice of 1 lime and broth..
- Bring to a low simmer for 3 hours stirring occasionally. After 3 hours you want to cover for the last hour to stop it from reducing anymore, keep uncovered if you want it thicker..
- Remove the meat and run the sauce through a sieve. Then put the strained sauce in a fat separator and reserve the fat in a separate container. Add the sauce back to a small sauce pot and keep warm. Take the meat off the bones and pull the meat apart slightly discarding all the fat bits..
- Brush some of the fat onto your tortillas and add to a heated pan. Add the meat and cheese and fold the tacos and crisp up each side. Plate and scoop in cilantro, onions and a squeeze of lime juice, avocado optional. Serve with a bowl of the consommé (sauce) to dip the tacos in..
How to Cook Delicious Short rib birria tacos