Nikujaga (Simmered meat and potatoes) with Thick Cut Pork Belly.
You can cook Nikujaga (Simmered meat and potatoes) with Thick Cut Pork Belly using 9 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Nikujaga (Simmered meat and potatoes) with Thick Cut Pork Belly
- It’s 200 grams of Pork belly (block).
- It’s 3 of to 4 Potatoes.
- You need 1 of Carrot.
- Prepare 1 of Onion.
- You need 3 tbsp of ☆Sugar.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of ☆Mirin.
- It’s 3 tbsp of ☆Sake.
- It’s 7 tbsp of ☆Soy sauce.
- It’s 300 ml of Water.
Nikujaga (Simmered meat and potatoes) with Thick Cut Pork Belly step by step
- Cut up the ingredients. Cut the pork belly into 1 cm pieces, the potatoes in half, and roughly cut up the carrot. Slice the onion into wedges..
- Heat up a pan and add the pork belly pieces. Don't add oil. Pan fry both sides until browned; some fat will come out of the meat..
- Bring water (not listed) to a boil in a pan, and simmer the browned pork for about 20 minutes. Drain in a sieve or colander. The pork will now be tender and light tasting..
- Stir fry the vegetables in the fat that came out of the pork. When everything is coated in the fat and the onion is translucent, return the pork to the pan and stir fry quickly..
- Put all the ☆ seasoning ingredients and the water to the pan..
- Cover with a small lid or a piece of aluminium foil that sits right on top of the ingredients (drop lid or otoshibuta) and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes over medium heat..